Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: 16mm films or super 8 films at hollywood video or blockbuster video

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Vespasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    There was a post on hear a while back about a 16mm film being available at Hollywood video, does anyone know about any 16mm or Super 8 films that you can rent at Hollywood video or Blockbuster video?

    Thankyou.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I think the "Video Stores" thread covered super8. As for 16mm there's
    <ul type="square">[*]El Mariachi[*]Clerks[*]The Evil Dead[*]Leaving Las Vegas[*]The Brothers McMullen[*]American Movie[*]Coven[/list]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are two many 16 mm movies to count.

    Even "LEAVING LOS VEGAS," was shot in

    Super 16!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are countless films with 16mm
    footage put in. But here are some you
    may have seen, or may be able to find
    at the store. These aren't my suggested
    films by any means, just ones I noticed!

    Madonna: Truth or Dare
    She's Gotta Have It
    Pink Flamingos; et al
    Blair Witch Project(s)
    Basket Case
    Monterrey Pop Festival
    Woodstock
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre; shot on
    Ektachrome 7252 no less!

    http://www.imdb.com

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Vespasian's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    American movie was shot in 16mm? I have that movie. Damn I didn't know 16mm looked that good. I thought it was 35mm.

    Thanks for the help.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    When I first saw American Movie Chris Smith and Sarah Price were there for a Q&A session afterward. I specifically asked about the gauge and they ssid 16mm. What we saw that night was a 35mm blow up.

    The IMDb says it was shot in 35mm so one of my sources is wrong. I think it was 16mm.

    The picture I saw that night did not look that good. It had a very noticible grain. I have also noted that the DVD looks great. I think the transfer to DVD came off better than the blow up to 35mm. On the other hand the 35mm was projected onto a 25 ft screen; the DVD is on a 25 inch screen.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 30, 2002 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Actor ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member seekaee's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2001
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Christoper Noland's first film FOLLOWING was shot on 16mm as well as Jim Jarmush's STRANGER THE PARADISE. Another film I believe was shot in S16mm was Spike Lee's GET ON THE BUS.You should be able to find all three titles at either store.

    BTW dose anyone know if the B/W sequences in Eyes Wide Shut were shot in 16mm? It seemed like it.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 30, 2002 03:03 PM: Message edited by: seekaee ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "Get on the Bus", like many of Spike Lee's films, has portions done with a 16mm camera. Supposedly, he used a K3 camera for those parts. I doubt that it was a super 16mm, but it's possible. I say that because those cameras are cheap, and such modifications are usually done on better cameras.

    According to the imdb, "Eyes Wide Shut" was shot with an Arri 535B camera. Usually it tells if another type of camera was used for a certain part. It is an accurate database, but of course not always 100%.
    http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0120663

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 30, 2002 05:38 PM: Message edited by: c_77 ]</font>

  9. #9
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Director Mick Garris shot "The Stand," the big eight-hour 1994 Stephen King mini-series, entirely on 16mm to keep the budget down. He mentions this on the commentary track on the DVD.

    Yes, it's available at Blockbuster. Whatever happened to West Coast Video or the old Mom-and-Pop video stores that had names like Videopalooza or Video Tyme? Not that there's anything wrong with Blockbuster, but it seems like that's the only video store in existence anymore.

    Tom

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 30, 2002 06:22 PM: Message edited by: tfunch24 ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    "Eyes Wide Shut" was shot with an Arri 535B camera
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The Arri 535B is a 35mm camera.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •